Monday, April 14, 2008

Pride Cometh Before the Fall

Ever have one of those conflicted moments...it is a moment of happiness and pride. Makes your heart overflow with good feelings and pushing the corners of your lips so high you are smiling like the Joker? But in that very same instant, you heart is also in your stomach. Tears are in your eyes and you just want to curl up in a ball...

I had one of those yesterday during my visit to San Diego.

At my best friend's birthday party, his eldest daughter, my Goddaughter, says "Bogart, I am so happy you are here. I love when you are here."

Pride wells up, big smile, oh so happy.

Then, this five year-old daggers me like an old pro..."But I wish you did not live so far away. It makes me very sad that you are not here a lot."

9 comments:

WILLIAM said...

You need to have kids.

for a different kind of girl said...

Kids have that tremendous way of taking you through the whole range of ups and downs, and they're so dang cute when they do it!

Katelin said...

Kids have magic powers, I swear.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

The old one, two punch. Kids just get you where it hurts. What a sweet kiddo. Guess she's got your number!

Hallie

The Charming Hedonist said...

Oh, my friend, that is guilt at its best. She's a pro, and she's young yet!

Amy said...

This story melts my heart! She must be very fond of you.

Schell Family said...

I'll add insult to injury - this evening after you left she's mentioned several times how much fun she had with you and how she didn't want you to leave. She said "Bogart should have stayed for 3 nights, then he could go home! It's not fair that he doesn't live in San Diego". She loves you very much!

Thanks for the fun visit and the ride in the fun car!

Bogart said...

William - I think I would like to be married before I do that.

DKG - Yes...

Katelin - Some more than others

WWoW - She does, there is no question about it.

CH - I can't wait to see her at 16!

Amy - I hope so.

Stacey - I am part happy to hear that and part sad...sorta like the entire post.

Ok, Where Was I? said...

That's a kid for you, telling it just how it is.

And I just read the comment about her--how sweet is that? What a cutie.