Monday, January 28, 2008

The Laundry Defense

Does wanting someone else to do my laundry make me a snob?

After the second week in a row of losing quarters because a washing machine is out of order; the "ump-teenth" time having to move someone else's "delicates" from a washer to a dryer; and I don't know how many times Claire and/or I have carried my laundry down to the three washers, only to find that someone else is using them; I am now thinking about using a "fluff-n-fold" service.
Now, I have been taking my work clothes to the cleaners for years. I know that I am a perfectionist when it comes to ironing and when I try to iron, it takes me 30-40 mins per shirt because I want it just right. So, to save time and sanity, I allow someone else to press my shirts and slacks. But the thought of someone else cleaning my tighty-whiteys or my stinky socks, gives me pause. Oh yea, and that whole snob thing.

-----------------------

I was accused of picking the Hampton Roads area over San Diego in the comments the other day. Let me say this. It is beautiful here. Sure it is cold, but I love the old buildings, the water, the sweet churches...and I am so lucky to be here with a beautiful woman that is such an amazing companion. But there is no way, on this green earth, that it is better than SD. I can't say much bad about this area...except of course the things that I have complained about here, here, and here...it just ain't no San Diego.

4 comments:

Schell Family said...

If I could afford it, I'd pay someone to wash, fold and even put away my laundry....sounds like I need a maid!

The Charming Hedonist said...

Hey, it doesn't make you a snob. When I was in college, I didn't have time for laundry and GGW convinced me to try it. Believe me, the thought of sending my thongs out for someone else to wash was outrageous. But, when all of my clothes came back neatly folded (thongs included) and wrapped in that wonderful crisp brown paper, I was a believer. It's like crack -- once you try it, you'll be hooked.

Ok, Where Was I? said...

It may make you a snob, but even worse, it would make you a liar and/or a freak if you said otherwise. I love the above comment: it's like crack. Never once have I folded a thong, so it's got me kind of curious. Isn't that how all drug use starts? And totally unrelated, but I read your profile: I love Life is Beautiful. But I can't watch it b/c it's too sad. In fact, I can't even talk about one of the best parts of any movie ever, when the father, walking to his death, still makes it out to be a game for his son. Big tears well up instantly.

Bogart said...

Stacey -- Why am I not surprised?

CH -- Thanks...that is what I am worried about. What if I loose my job and can't afford it anymore? Then I have to go back and be like the rest of the "little people"...it is such a hard decision.

OK -- Nice catch! And it is a great movie...gonna show it to Claire for the first time this weekend. Is it bad that we are going to watch it on an airplane?