Tuesday, January 15, 2008

60-Years Ago Today

January 15, 1948 in Hot Springs, Arkansas my grandparents were married...it was at her father's home...after the ceremony, they drove to Little Rock, Arkansas for a very quick honeymoon. When they pulled into the city, they were both hungry, so they stopped at a little cafe for a bite to eat.

Gramps had a habit of pulling out his comb anytime he went anywhere...so, in the car, he pulled out his comb, and proceeded to make sure he looked okay...but as he ran the comb through his hair, copious amounts of the rice that the families threw at them fell all over the car.

-----------------------------

As they got to the place they were staying that night, my gramps gave my grandma the car keys, his billfold, and told her to go back home. He was about to be very sick and he did not want her seeing him that way...you see, he had contracted malaria during The War, and it was acting up on his wedding day...he had been able to tough it out through the ceremony, but by the early evening, he was getting very, very sick. My grandmother, ever a little defiant, said she knew darn well how to take care of sick people and was not going anywhere. "I am your wife now."

----------------------------

She did not leave his side for almost 60 years...on September 13, 2007, my gramps passed away...I said all I know to say about him in this post last year. One thing that I don't know how to phrase, however, is how their love and marriage has affected me. It was not perfect...they had rocky times and hard roads like all married couples...but my grandfather's last words were asking for her. He was not ready to go until she was holding his hand.

He died not long after she arrived. His laboured breathing and broken body finally found rest...but not until his Ruth was beside him.

8 comments:

WILLIAM said...

touching.

Amber said...

Unfortunately that kind of love and devotion isn't as apparent as it used to be. My grandma and grandpa were the same way. There is a wonderful picture of them where she is looking right at him and he is looking at the camera. You can see all the love they had in the photo. I am glad that I still have my grandma who can tell me about how she and my grandpa plugged away at life together. She reminds me that marriage is forever. I wish more people had that kind of influence in their lives. Maybe we would see fewer divorces.

♥♥♥ A- Licious ♥♥♥ said...

wow...that was an awesome post!
and i agree with scarlett - now a days THAT kind of love is just HARD to find. i do believe it is still out there though :o)
my grandparents were like that as well (they have passed away) - so are my mom and dad, they have that love.


really, that was a beautiful sharing! thanks!

Amy xoxoxox

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

What a great post. Gives the rest of us "married" people hope that this kind of love does exist...


Btw, you crack me up. The comment you left made me laugh out loud.

You are TOTALLY right about the helmet needing to be snapped to be effective. Connor ALWAYS has it snapped around me but then this is what happens when I let him out into the world....

And as far as WIENERS ON THE BRAIN... I'm just gonna put it out there that if you were not thinking "BAD" things, this statement would have been harmless.

Having wieners on the brain is a perfectly normal thing! They may be furry wieners or other types of wieners but I still say it's perfectly normal!!

Hallie

Schell Family said...

Thank you for sharing such a cute story. I know how much you love your grandparents and it really shows in this post. Happy Anniversary to Grandma and Grandpa!

Stace

Katelin said...

Simply precious.

Bogart said...

William...thanks. Just working to write like you. :-)

Scarlett...no doubt. I just pray I can have a devotion to my future wife like they were devoted to each other.

A-Licious...thanks for the kind words...and yes, it is still out there.

WWofW...it does exist and is still prevalent...just got to be willing to love no matter what.

Stacey...you rock.

Katelin...thanks

Anonymous said...

Rebecca just showed this to me today while at her house--so glad to read your comments about the day I married the most wonderful man in the world. Only the thoughts of his love sustain my now to keep going on without him. God made each of us to be together which was very evident throughout those 60 years. Every time you were with us you were witness to that. Life isn't the same without him, and it never will be. But he left me with a wonderful daughter which makes it bearable. And through the presence of the Holy Spirit I am sustained each day and with the knowledge I will be with him someday.
You are so precious to me dear Michael--and a witness to God's love. See you soon.
Love,
G'ma