Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Wednesday Odds and Ends

Andre the Giant was a villian in WWF wrestling when I was growing up. Hulk Hogan the hero and his arch rival. But in Princess Bride, Andre was the muscles in a "criminal organization", later turning his life around and becoming a force for good. Andre died a few years ago and for some very strange reason, I was sad about it. I never knew him and never really was a "fan", but it made me sad...I think mostly b/c he seemed like such a cool guy. I was reminded about this last night while I was watching Princess Bride on AMC...it was/is so good. Rob Reiner says it is his favorite movie...It is definatly one of mine. It is one of the more quoted movies in my little circle of friends.

"No more rhyming I mean it!"

"Anyone want a Peanut?"

-----

How do I know that Yahoo's spam filter may be a bit too tight?

I sent myself an email...from my personal Yahoo account...to that very same personal Yahoo account...and it got caught in the Spam Filter. Amazing.


-----

On Monday, I got some sweet pictures of my good friend's baby...Last summer, I lived next door to him and his wife...our townhouses were close enough that we could literally just talk back and forth without going outside. If their bedroom slider was open, I could hear when they turned on the shower. So, when he sent the pictures over of Ava, this was my response:

"To think, I was less than 50 feet away when she was made."
And he wrote back:
"Heck, you were closer than that. You probably could have watched if you wanted to."

-----

I miss hanging out with Jeremy.

-----

That reminded me of my very first apartment in college. We had two very, ahem, "active" couples living near us...one above and one beside. The ones above had a squeaky bed and the ones beside us (we shared a balcony) were, well, boisterous.

The best part was the wafting cigarette smoke that would come through the window after they were finished...

I just got shivers...not in a good way.

10 comments:

WILLIAM said...

"I do not envy you the headache you will have when you awake, but until then sleep well and dream of Large women.

for a different kind of girl said...

My, this definitely is odds and ends! It is here I shall confess that I think I've only seen Princess Bride once, years ago, and I think I only saw it in bits and pieces.

And speaking of bits and pieces, my senior year in college, I lived in a house with six other girls and one of our male friends. Some of those girls were quite boisterous, and, by luck of the bedroom drawing, the most boisterous had to cut through my bedroom to get to her thin-walled dwelling. It was a very long year, and yet I met a lot of people because of her.

kimmy said...

OK - the Princess Bride is one of my all time favorite movies. I would go around reciting that same line for days!

"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die."

Not sure why, but that line always sticks in my head too!

And for the record. My dad is a huge WWF wresting fan and I grew up watching it all the time. I remember watching "Macho Man" Randy Savage and "Miss Elizabeth" too. I even went to a live performance in Portland once. That was so long ago...thanks for the great memories :)

Kimmy

Jen said...

I looooooove Princess Bride. So many layers to that movie.

And when I was on a flight from San Diego to Phoenix the other day I could have sworn a WWF Wrestler was a few rows ahead of me. Don't ask me who - just huge, tan, long coiffed hair and a strange "flavor savor" (ahem) on his chin and people kept approaching him.

Rahul said...

Princess Bride is in the "save until I delete" bin of my DVR.

Andre the Giant is the greatest Giant ever.

I said it!

Katelin said...

haha i love the text from your old neighbor, that's awesome.

and love princess bride, i mean who doesn't?

Bogart said...

William - I LOVE that one...and a million others!!! "I know something you do not know".

DKG - You need to see it...with your kids...and the ToolMan...and that sounds like an interesting living arangement.

Kimmy - I remember Macho Man, King Kong Bundy, The British Bulldog, etc...

Jen - I don't know many wrestlers...have not watched in 20 years.

RS - do you know many giants?

Katelin - He is one of the funnier guys I know.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

For you, as a first time thong wearer, I'd recommend cotton...plain simple cotton. Lace tends to get tangled in ass hair. Not that I'm saying you have any but just to be safe...cotton.

Hallie :)

April said...

I want you to know that I value our blogationship. I think you are swell and that Claire is one lucky senorita. And Uberman and I would love to buy you (and Claire) a beer or two the next time you are in our town for Spring Training. Your post today inspired my post today. Come see me. And forgive. Please. Forgive.

The Maid said...

There is just something very unmanly about you saying...
"But if I ever did pee while I laughed, I would be happy for panty liners..."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I was dying! ;)

"Maybe I should start wearing panties...or follow your lead and just throw on a thong."

Never..don't ever do it...the only thing that should ever touch the winker itself is toilet paper.

And I'm with Hallie...lace is like sandpaper for your butt.

Phew...I made it through that one...I don't know how, but I did. And Claire, I hope to never discuss your hubbies undergarments with either of you again. Wink.

And those who do not like The Princess Bride? INCONCEIVABLE!