Monday, July 21, 2008

Gay's in Toga's, Satan and a Presidential Election...

Thought I would share some goodness for you cooks today...Claire came over to my place last night and baked some fresh bread. She has done this a couple of times, but last night she tweaked the recipe a bit and it was a HUGE WIN!!! What did she do? Well, she took the recipe below and used an Apricot Ale for the beer. Then we proceeded to eat it with brie and jam. It was fantastic!


3c Self Rising Flour
3tbsp Sugar
1 Can/Bottle warm beer

Mix together and pour into well greased bread baker. Rub butter on top while baking to brown better. Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 mins.

Oh yea, I would also recommend adding a little salt when you butter the top about 1/2 through baking...it ads such great flavor.

-----

Went and saw Batman: The Dark Knight on Saturday night. It was a very cool flick. I don't normally enjoy the comic book to movie genre, but this one, like the last one, was very good.

And yes, Heath Ledger really was that good...Oscar good.
-----

I think that I am officially swearing off going to the Regal Cinema's across the water from my apartment. The last two or three times I went, it was nothing but loud talkers, constant texting in a dark theater, and Bluetooth headsets blinking...Seriously folks, turn off the celly for 2 hours and enjoy the movie. I paid my $20 to be here and enjoy it...when you open your phone the light shines like a beacon of annoyance.

And take that stupid Bluetooth headset off your ear. The flashing blue light is crazy annoying in a dark room and you are not so important that you need to have your phone on your ear at all times...plus, you look really dumb.

Sorry, rant over.

-----

The title of this post was the "teaser" that a CNN announcer used just before going to break this morning...he said "Gay's in Toga's, Satan, and a Presidential Election...has a comic book gone too far?"

I think I shot coffee out of my nose when, using his best TV announcer voice, he paused between "Gay's in Toga's, Satan" (pause) "and a presidential election".

-----

Sign #486 that I am getting old...

When nobody is around and I know I won't get caught, do you know what I like to do?

Take a nap.

Did it twice this weekend.

-----

On Saturday morning, Claire and I headed out to Virginia Beach to participate in a 5k...We ran as part of Team Hoyt, a running team for St. Mary's Home for Disabled Children. We had a great time running with our new friend Izzy, who alternated between watching a video on her iPod and staring out at the course on the boardwalk. While the heat made it a harder run than it should have been, we really enjoyed it.

If you don't know anything about Team Hoyt, click on the link above and watch the Good Morning America story. It is amazing.

8 comments:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Bread - what the hell is that?

Batman - nope, no go for this non-Batman loving chic

Cellphone usage during a movie - don't you guys have that nice reminder PRE movie to KINDLY TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONES SO THAT EVERYONE CAN ENJOY THE SHOW? You know, it comes on right after the dancing popcorn?

That headline is freakin impressive

Napping at your age? SAD

But you DO rock for participating in that run!

Hallie

Kevin Pellatiro said...

Need try the bread, shot an 86 while you were running (81 the day before - training for ya), and LOVE the naps. I blame the humidity. I think we get to play that card. It was 76 and rising at 7am here. I might cry... oh, those are sweat beads.

Practically Joe said...

Thank you Team Bogart for introducing me to Team Hoyt!

I try to pay as little attention as possible to the openings of new movies but I get really excited when they are newly released at Blockbuster. Then all I have to deal with is my wife asking me to pause the damn thing.

Sometimes you just can't win.

The Charming Hedonist said...

I miss naps. Why oh why did I take them for granted in Kindergarden?

The Charming Hedonist said...

Oh, and there's a place that was recommended for Cuban food -- It's called Fantastic Cuban Restaurant. That and Padrino's.

Rahul said...

At my last job I would go home in the middle of the day and take a nap on my lunch hour.

That is sort of sad.

for a different kind of girl said...

Naps rock! I took one this weekend after going to see The Dark Knight, which rocked harder than my nap.

Also, I need to start eating before I come to your site. Or get me one of those Claires!

Katelin said...

seriously, i need to have claire come over and bake at my house, haha.

and yesssss to the dark knight. i loved it. so dark and creepy though, oy. but so good.