Friday, May 1, 2009

Fruity Pebbles and Changing the World

I recently rediscovered a love for Fruity Pebbles. Their tasty goodness is quality in the AM.

Any particular cereal you need to rediscover?

-----

Tonight, we have a "Lock-In" with our Jr/Sr High kids. Claire and I will be spending the night, locked in our church with a grip of 12-17 year olds. Pray for us. No really, we need it.

-----

Have you seen this charity yet? (Found it through The Dish, a blog written by a baseball writer I like...he also writes about food and books.)

Global Giving...GlobalGiving is an online marketplace that connects you to the causes and countries you care about. You select the projects you want to support, make a tax-deductible contribution, and get regular progress updates - so you can see your impact.

An example of a project that was “so tiny, in fact, that it initially embarrassed” the site’s founder: a request for $5000 to build a separate toilet block for girls at a school in Coimbatore, India. They got the money and built the toilet block, and lo and behold, the dropout rate for girls who hit puberty dropped dramatically.

Seems like a pretty cool thing. Changing people's lives and you even get to see the tangible results. How often does that happen?

9 comments:

MaBunny said...

Morning Bogart! I hadn't heard of that charity site! Will definitely come back and click on the link when I have more time. My family and I love cocoa pebbles - honestly never tried the fruity ones.. I imagined they tasted a bit like fruit loops? do they?
Hope you have fun and survive your lock in!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Apple Jacks.

:)

Hallie

Anonymous said...

Couple things B...
1. You must be nuts, but will pray and be remembering you tonight.

2. You must be nuts spending all night with teenagers.

oh and one more...
you are nuts.

-juice

for a different kind of girl said...

Oh, and think of the lives you'll be changing tonight at the lock-in. Seriously! Well, it will mostly be your own! I'm exhausted just thinking about it!

Delicious, delicious Apple Jacks, btw!

sari said...

My grandma used to give us Fruity Pebbles, it always reminds me of her house.

The contribution idea is terrific, it's nice to know that what you're giving actually makes a difference. Usually you have no idea. I'll have to go check it out.

Unknown said...

I have rediscovered Honey Nut Cheerios...oh my!
Once upon a time, I too somehow survived the lock-ins! Enjoy, before you know, your house will be empty!
~AM

JP said...

Trix. A little toilet goes a long way...

leighann said...

Speaking of the result of separate potties, I remember seeing a commercial or something that said underprivileged teenage girls in Africa have to miss "that" week of school every month--adding up to 3 complete months of school they miss each year. As Americans, we can't fathom the thought of "lady band-aids" (as Lucy calls 'em) as being a privilege.

Why is it so easy to forget how lucky & blessed we are?

And my favorite part of Fruity Pebbles is how quickly they get soggy. My least favorite part of Fruity Pebbles is how quickly the milk turns gray from the mixed colors.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!