Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Let Me Be Your Hero

Everyone has one, whether they have it listed out or not.

Skydive. Bungee-jump. Eat a Rocky Mountain Oyster.

You know the list. Some call it a Bucket List.

Drive a race-car. Hit a home run. Dunk a basketball.

Things you want to do before you die.

Become a dad. Travel to Istanbul. Live in a house on the beach.

Some are silly. Some are very serious. Some are in between.

Kiss a girl taller than you. Run into a burning building. Get paid to play a sport.

-----

I have crossed some off my list. My list does not stop growing, but I like it that way.

Last Thursday, I got to cross one off...it was actually two, but they sorta went together.

Run into a burning building...be someones hero.

-----

As Claire and I got to the parking lot and saw the flames on the fifth floor, we realized it was not a drill. Our place was not in danger and even if it was, it is just stuff. Claire and I were safe.

Our neighbor, however, did not think he was that lucky. His apartment is directly below the one on fire. There were no firemen, yet. Our neighbor realized his cat was in danger.

-----

I hate cats. You can put "Eat a cat" on my bucket list. Mostly out of spite. I prefer dogs. They are much more my speed. Cats are too aloof, moody and mean. I hear they taste like chicken.

-----

Our neighbor's cat had run under the bed when the alarm went off and could not be coaxed out. As our neighbor sat there worrying about his cat, I asked him why don't you just run up there and get it. "I am scared" he said.

"Give me your keys" I replied curtly. And Claire did say I was very curt with him. I prefer to call it hero mode.

He looked at me and thought for a second. "Give me your keys, I will go get your cat!" I was not asking anymore. I was in hero mode.

"No, we will go together. Just don't leave me."

Really, he said that.

So we ran...up four flights of stairs...down the hallway...through his door. I lifted his bed and he climbed under and grabbed the cat. We ran out.

Yes, we saw smoke. It was so cool.

-----

The next day I was walking down the hallway and bumped into him and his family. He was getting what was left of his stuff out of the apartment. The flames did not get down to his place, but the water from the fire hoses and sprinklers did. Most everything was ruined.

I asked him what his plans were. We chatted for a second...then he stopped mid-sentence and introduced me to his family.

"This is the guy I was telling you about. This is my hero. He saved my cat."

-----

What is on your bucket list?

4 comments:

MaBunny said...

Oh wow! Yep, you may not like cats ( and I can figure out why as they aren't my preference either) but your neighbor DOES love cats and because of your kind heart and your 'hero' mode his family's cat is safe!
Two things on my bucket list are traveling - to Vermont to stay in a B &B in the fall during the changing of the colors and to travel to Mackinac Island - the site of one of my all time fave movies and to see the Grand Hotel while there!
I hope you and Claire have a very Merry Christmas!

Bijoux said...

Wow - that's really cool, Bogart. I don't think I could have done that, esp. since I truly hate cats as well! Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a 2010 where you get to do more on your bucket list!

for a different kind of girl said...

I don't hate cats, but I'm not sure I'd have the guts to want to head back into a place where I knew fire could be looming, so for that, good on you. You're going to definitely be part of that man's history for a very long time.

Hope you and Claire have an amazing and merry Christmas!

Kevin Pellatiro said...

Nicely done. Glad you held the "tastes like chichen" comments until this entry. Sweet of you really.